Fleche D'Or is back open! Hosted the Raveonettes last Saturday, in fact.
Le Gambetta has a lot of good local and touring indie garage and punk acts: 104 Rue de Bagnolet
Le Picolo, 58 Rue Jules Valles, St. Ouen, has also had a lot of great local and international Garage, Punk, Rockabilly. Short walk from Pt. de Clignancourt Metro on the peripherique (see upcoming events at bottom of this post).
La Mecanique Ondulatoire should be having concerts again in January. Stay tuned!
Concerts and Dj gigs...
- Kid Congo Powers, Tues, Dec. 15@ . This is of course the guitarist/singer of bands like the Gun Club and the Cramps. (but I'm sure you'll be next door at the W.A.S.P. concert) ;).
Expatriate, Wed., Dec. 16 @ Nouveau Casino: Aussi group compared to Interpol.
- The Fabulous SF Sorrow every wednesday 45rpm Record Show @ La Mecanique Ondulatoire. Want to know the noisy roots of Sonic Youth, Young'uns? The legacy of which the Black Keys are a part? Do some time travel with SF Sorrow and his guests and you'll be graduating from the academy of Rock-Soul-and-Punk. But then there are plenty of graduates already out there who are used to swinging and swooning every wednesday for this blessed ritual.
E.g. of the pearls you behold at a SF Sorrow gig:
- Djay Le Grand Duc du Kansas's Every Other Thursday @ La Feline Bar. Every other Thursday Le Grand Duc brings you his swingin', hipshakin', pogomatic, occasionally head bangin' mix from early Honky Tonk to Soul, RocknRoll, Garage, Hard Rock, Classic Pop Punk, NewWave, and Indie Rock. Hank Williams Sr., Johnny Cash, Wilson Pickett, Gene Vincent, Dick Dale,The Standells, Rosco Gordon, Slim Harpo, STiff Little Fingers, AC/DC, The Dead Kennedys, DEVO, The Dirtbombs, Sonic Youth, Social Distortion.... Tequila shots and hips are shakin and breakin in all directions in a sinful mist of oldfashioned song and softporn. You might hear this:
and this: And definitely this:
- Black Heart Procession, Thur., Dec. 17 @ Mains d'Oeuvres. Slow, dark low-fi indie folk rock a la Will Oldham/Bonnie Prince Billy.
- Temper Trap, Fri, Dec. 18 @ Nouveau Casino. Aussie indie pop with a good reputation in that genre.
- New Model Army 18 Dec., Friday @ La Maroquinerie. Post-punk, experimental, indie-folk rock-- they've been called it all. Lots of necessary anti-imperialist (mostly American) material.
- Emir Kusturica and the No Smoking Orchestra @ Le Zenith, Saturday 19 Dec. Famous film Director Black Cat White Cat, Underground, etc and his wild Balkan music.
- Marilyn Manson @ Le Zenith! Ever since Bowling for Columbine, I've wanted to see what this guy is all about on stage. Those of you who put down the cash for it, write back and let us know what you thought.
Then UPcoming shows in January. Lots of great indie garage acts.
- DIMANCHE 10 JANVIER : THE ZEROS (US 70's punk-rock legends) + OPERATION S + THE PUPILS / PICOLO
- JEUDI 14 JANVIER : COCOCOMA (US, Goner Records) + TBA / GAMBETTA
- VENDREDI 15 JANVIER : BRAIN EATERS + SUSPENDERS + NO HIT MAKERS / RIGOLETTO (Brain Eaters EP release party)
- SAMEDI 23 JANVIER : HIPBONE SLIM & THE KNEE TREMBLERS (UK Rock-a-Billy) + 9 TON PEANUT SMUGGLERS (UK 60's ska/R&B) + 1 / PICOLO
- MARDI 26 JANVIER : SHERIFF PERKINS + THEE MYSTERIOUS ASTHMATIC AVENGER (Tours) + WASTED PIDO (Italie) + BUD McMUFFIN (Niort) / RIGOLETTO (Soirée one-man bands, Cowpunx from Hell tour)
- DIMANCHE 7 FEVRIER : DANNY "DADDY-O GRANDE" AMIS (US, guitariste de LOS STRAIGHTJACKETS) + LES ARONDES / COMBUSTIBLES
- SAMEDI 20 FEVRIER : LES VOLFONIS (Champagne) + LES KITSCHENETTES (Bretagne) + THE NEAT BOYS (Normandie) / PICOLO