Search This Blog

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Pitchfork 500 release party at The Motel


Friday night the Motel was packed. The event was a dj-ed release party for the influential indie music (largely) site Pitchfork's new book The Pitchfork 500: the best 500 songs from punk to the present. The djs were exclusively spinning songs from the 500 list. I heard Sonic Youth's "Daydream Nation" REM's "Radio Free Europe," and Stone Rose's "Waterfall," among other gems. Pitchfork, I'm glad to see you're listening to me. Was Richard Hell and the Voidoids in there?

Though the place was too much sardine city for my tastes, it was full of people into the music, into a particular indie subculture. This was my third or fourth time to the bar,and though I find it a bit on the teen side for this aging hipster, it is a fun place with fairly reasonable drinks (4euro mojitos til 10, then 6 after that; normal beer prices). Of course for some of you readers, the youthfulness factor is a plus. Besides there were a few 30+ veterans, rockin about with their walkers (in their slippers, of course).
Worth checking out the Motel in the future. In fact, you just might find me djing there.
The Motel
8 Passage Josset, 75011 Paris
Metros:
* Ledru Rollin (0.2 km)
* Faidherbe Chaligny (0.6 km)
* Bréguet-Sabin (0.6 km)
* Voltaire (0.6 km)
Two blocks down rue de Charonne from la Mecanique Ondulatoire.
--Djay Indie Eclectique
p.s. Hey, Pitchfork! Feel free to send me a copy to review. xoxo

No comments:

Formerly "Parisnormale: Paris Rocks"